Everyday Science Important Questions, For PSC & CSS Exams
SCIENTIFIC STUDIES OF VARIOUS FIELDS
CATEGORY(A-D) acarology– study of mites accidence– grammar book; science of inflections in grammaraceology– therapeuticsacology — study of medical remedies
acoustics — science of sound adenology — study of glands
CATEGORY(E-I) Egyptology– study of ancient Egyptekistics– study of human settlement
electrochemistry– study of relations between electricity and chemicalselectrology — study of electricity
electrostatics– study of static electricityembryology– study of embryos
CATEGORY(K-O) koniology — study of atmospheric pollutants and dustktenology — science of putting people to deathkymatology — study of wave motionlabeorphily– collection and study of beer bottle labels
larithmics– study of population statisticslaryngology — study of larynx
CATEGORY(P-T) paedology– study of childrenpaedotrophy– art of rearing childrenpaidonosology– study of children’s diseases; pediatricspalaeoanthropology– study of early humanspalaeobiology — study of fossil plants and animalspalaeoclimatology– study of ancient climates palaeolimnology– study of ancient Fish
CATEGORY(U-Z) ufology– study of alien spacecrafturanography– descriptive astronomy and mapping
uranology– study of the heavens; astronomyurbanology– study of cities
urenology– study of rust moldsurology — study of urine; urinary tract
venereology– study of venereal diseasevermeology– study of worms
PART-A• Hydrometer measures humidity• Barometer measures atmospheric pressure
• Purity of milk is measured by lactometer• Fathometer measures the depth of oceans.• Sextant is used for measuring altitude of Sun and other heavenly bodies• Chronometer records accurate time on ships
PART-B• Heat energy into mechanical energy: Heat engine or steam engine.• Electrical energy into mechanical energy: Electrical Motor• Electrical energy into sound energy: Loudspeaker
• Sound energy into electrical energy: Microphone
PART-C Gramophone: an instrument with which we can reproduce the sound recorded by a suitable recording apparatus. It is fitted with a special type of apparatus known as sound box invented by Berliner.
Gravimeter: is an instrument for recording measurement under water and to determine the presence of oil deposits under water.
UNITS OF MEASUREMENT
SECTION-A • 1 horse power is 745.7 watts• 1 horse power = work equal to lifting 550 lbs of weight to one foot for one second• 1 calorie is equal to 4.2 Joules• 1 barrel is equal to 159 liters• 6 feet = 1 fathom
• 1 kwh = 3.6 x 10 power 6 joules
SECTION-B • Fermi : length [A unit of length equal to one femtometer (10-15 meter)]• Sved berg unit:sedimentation rate • Dioptre: power of lense • Mho : conductivity • Henry: inductance
• Maxwell: magnetic flux• Becquerel: radioactivity • Kilo watt hour: power
SECTION-C • unit of sound named after- Alexander Graham Bell – Decibel
• The density Smoke is measured on the Rngelmann scale- • Unit of electromotive force in Volt.• Power is measured in Watts (w).• Resistance was discovered by Girge Ohm in 1826, and is measured in ohms.
PART-A • Theory of mutation was propounded by Hygo de Vries.• A theory of acquired character was given by Lamark.• Charles Darwin is famous for his theory of struggle for existence and survival of the fittest.• Sigmund Freud is called as the father of modern psychiatry and psychology.• Energy stored in stretched spring is Elastic Potential energy• Energy stored in fossil fuels is chemical energy
PART-B • Sound travels more rapidly in solids• Maximum limit of sound beyond which a man can become deaf is 129 decibel• Audible sound is 20-20,000 cycles/second• Inaudible sound >20,000 cycles/second
• Velocity of sound at 0 deg: C is 331.7 m/s• Echo can only be produces when the distance of the obstacle is at least 17 meters
PART-C • Lasers are a special source of light called coherent light this means all the light waves are in step with each other and travel in same direction• Laser produce light of one particular wavelength and it is s single, pure color.• The first hologram was make in 1962• Laser = Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation• Quartz-halogen bulbs are used in overhead projectors and spotlights
SECTION-A • Taxidermy means stuffing dead animals• Stenography means short hand writing
• Psoriasis is a learning disability• Paleontology is study of fossils.• Hematology is the study of blood.• Study of earth is geology• Acoustics is the science of sound• Cytology is the study of cell
SECTION-B • Anthropology is the study of man.• Cartography is the art of making maps and charts.
• Philately is hobby of stamp collecting.• The branch of zoology, which deals with the study of insects is called entomology• The production of generally identical reproduction is called as Cloning• A petrologist studies what- Rocks history formation etc• An onomastician studies what – Names
• Thanatology is the study of what Death
PART-1 Vitamin A (Fat-soluble)
Deficiency Symptomsnight blindnessloss of smell appetite loss
PART-2 • Deficiency of vitamin A causes dryness of skin and night blindness
• Skin food is Vitamin C• Vitamin C is also called Ascorbic Acid it prevents scurvy
• Vitamin C is also necessary for utilization of iron• The food which contains largest amount of Vitamin C is tomato• Cod liver oil contains Vitamin D
EVERY DAY SCIENCE MCQS FROM PPSC PAST PAPERS
PAPER 1 1) One of the countries through which equator passes is:
2) Copper can be converted into gold by
3) The three elements needed for healthy growth of plants are:
PAPER 2 (1) Person with following blood group are considered to be universal recipient.
(2) Study of life in outer space is known as:
(3) The name of the common mineral salt present in sweat is:
PAPER 3 (26) The position of earth in its orbit, when it is at its greatest distance from the sun causing northern summer is called:
(27) Diamond is a very expensive ornament. It is composed of a single element:
(28) Which of the following layers make radio transmission possible?
PAPER 4 1. Water is heated in a kettle. The inside water is heated by convection. A person sitting near the fire receives heat by :
2. A time can come when we will be able to design a machine which can go on working for ever without the expenditure of energy. Is it possible ?
PAPER 5 26. It is observed that the total pressure exerted by air on the man of average siz is around 14.7 lb wt. per square inch. But the man feels quite comfortable,. It is because of :
27) A nuclear reactor is a device used to carry out controlled nuclear reaction whereas GM counter is a device used to detect :
PAPER 6 1.Which instrument is used to measure
pressure? c. Manometer 2. What does Angstrom measure? d. Speed of ships
3. Light year is related to c. Distance
PAPER 7 26. Choose the correct combination
27. Who invented the ball point pen? 28. Blaze Pascal is associated with
PAPER 8 1. What is the body temperature of a normal man? 2. Which of the following helps in clotting of blood?
3. Total volume of blood in a normal adult human being is
PAPER 9 26. Myopia is a disease connected with
27. Leukemia is a disease of the 28. Short-sighted